The people who are planning for a peaceful religious tour can choose with the best place to visit can be Meenakshi Amman Temple. The temple is old around 2500 years which is located in the Madurai city where it has dedicated to deity Meenakshi amman an avatar of Goddess Parvati, and her consort Lord Sundareswarar (Lord Shiva).
The temple is sprawled with an area of 17 acres with 4 entrances in all the 4 directions north, south, east and west. The current structure and architecture of the temple was been designed by Nayakas, who are the people who ruled this region in the period of 16th and 18th centuries.
Attractions in temple:
As a whole the structure of the temple is an amazing art to wonder. To add glory to the temple 5 most important attractions helps the temple to stand in an outstanding place:
- There are about 14 gopurams in which the southern gopuram is the tallest one in which it stretches nearly about 170 feet (52 meters) high.
- We can see the vimanas which are covered with animal, stones, demons and god figures in bright/gold plated over the idol of the main deities.
- We can find a hall where it is named as “Hall of 1000 Pillars” or “Aayiram Kaal Mandapam”. These pillars are attractive since when we tap or strike few pillars of these we can hear distinct musical note struck/notes of Carnatic music.
- We have a pond in this temple called by a fascinating name “Golden Lotus Tank” or “Pottramarai Kulam”. Its believed with the fact that this Golden Lotus was been used by Lord Indra for his pooja. We have a story for this pond where it is said that Lord Shiva had blessed this pond that no marine would grow, to its surprise we can never found a fish or any marine life living in this pond.
- We have an expensive “Parrot Cage” or “Kilikoondu Mandapam Corridor” where the parrots are trained to call out the name “Meenakshi”
Dress code for visiting the Temple:
- Dress code for Gents : Gents are supposed to wear only full pants and shirts
- Dress code for Ladies: Kurthas, Sleeveless kurtis can be worn. It must be seen that it has been covered with a shawl.
- Camera is not allowed inside the temple
- Entrance fee for each place will be displayed in the board then and there.
Pooja and Darshan Timings:
The temple opens by morning 5.00 am to 12.30 pm. Evening it starts by 4.00 pm to 9.00 pm.Meenakshi Amman Temple - Madurai
For more information, please visit Icityzoom.com